Finley’s Point of View: Poison Prevention Every Day

Hi All,

Finley here! It’s hard to believe that it’s already the month of March; pretty soon the weather will be getting warmer (at least I hope so) and us four-legged friends can get back to spending more time in the great outdoors.  Since it IS the month of March, here at Cascade Kennels, we’ve been sharing a lot about poison prevention this month.  Did you know that Pet Poison Prevention has been a thing since 1962? Yeah, it has!! President John F. Kennedy signed a proclamation making the third week of March Poison Prevention week because he thought it was very important for pet owners to know about things around their house that can be toxic to their pets.  I think that’s pretty cool!

If you’ve followed my blog for a while, you know that I’ve talked a lot about keeping candy away from pets at Halloween and also during the holidays, but really, there are things around the house that can be dangerous for your pets and they are things that are around the house all the time. So here is my list of things to watch for that can be a danger to your pets.

POISON PREVENTION EVERYDAY

FOOD:  Most likely you all know that foods like chocolate, grapes and raisins are really bad for pets, but did you know there are other foods that humans eat all the time, that us pets should never have like onions, garlic, and even table salt? There are also some drinks that some humans like to drink like coffee or tea, energy drinks and even alcoholic drinks that can be really bad for us pets if we happen to get into them.  It’s important to remember, especially if you forget and leave things lying around, that we don’t know about these dangers (well, I do) but your pets don’t know these things are bad for them so it’s important that humans know so they can be extra careful to not leave these things lying around. Oh yeah, and nuts aren’t good for us either.  They’re fine for squirrels but not for dogs and cats.

MEDICINE: Sometimes humans get sick and they have to take medicine.  I’ve seen this with my human.  Sometimes the medicine humans take is stuff they buy at the store and sometimes it’s stuff their doctor makes them take.  Either way, most of this stuff is REALLY bad for your pets. Sure, us dogs don’t hop up on kitchen counters too much, but sometimes we can reach things and we like to chew them….. especially my Labrador and Golden Retriever friends. My feline friends CAN jump up on lots of things and if humans leave medicine sitting out, your cat might eat it and that would be bad. If you have to take medicine, it’s best to keep all of it away from your pets.

HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS: I know it’s important for humans to keep certain things around their house, stuff like cleaners that help their house get clean and smell good but did you know these can be bad for your pets?  Even just smelling them can cause irritation for some pets so it’s really important that humans keep cleaners well away from pets and if your pet likes to “help” you with the cleaning, make sure he helps with a non-toxic chore, like picking up toys or smelly socks!  Another really dangerous thing that humans have around is Anti-freeze.  I know, it’s usually in the garage but if you are needing to put some in your car, make sure your pet is not around. If you happen to spill some on the ground, be sure and spray off the area with water so a dog or cat won’t come along and drink it; it’s very poisonous.

IN THE YARD: Did you know there are some pretty common and pretty plants, that are dangerous for your pets?  Lilies are toxic for cats and Tulip bulbs are toxic for dogs and cats. If you’re planning to plant tulips and you have a dog that digs, well…….you may want to re-think that. If you’re interested, the ASPCA has a list of toxic and non-toxic plants available right here. It’s worth checking out, especially since Spring is right around the corner and you might be thinking about planting stuff that could be bad for your pets.

Remember, if you think your pet may have eaten something poisonous, contact your vet right away. If it’s after hours or the weekend, call your local emergency vet clinic right away. The faster you act, the better chance your pet has of making a full recovery.

I hope you found my advice helpful and I hope you and your pet have a happy and safe Spring.

Until next time,

Finley

Executive Canine Quality Control Officer

Related Post